Monday, October 16, 2006

The Weighty Issue of Sex

Several folks have asked to guess the gender and weight of Baby Jeneric and who are we to deny our readers? As for guessing the birth date, we open this post for comments on the baby’s gender and weight.

The rules:
1. You must guess both a gender and a weight.
2. You may enter only once.
3. Guesses must be left in the comments to this post.
4. Entries must be received by 11:59 pm, October 21.
5. The winner will be the guess with (1) the correct gender and (2) the weight closest to Baby Jeneric’s.

To help you with the gender question, we’ve scoured the web for old wives tales and present the answers below.

1. The extra baby weight is being carried out front.
2. The baby is carrying low.
3. My feet are not any colder or warmer than before pregnancy.
4. I prefer the heel of a loaf of bread.
5. Eric is not gaining weight along with me.
6. I had morning sickness early in my pregnancy.
7. I am looking just fine during pregnancy (at least, that’s what everyone tells me. They could be fibbing).
8. I hung a thread with a needle over my belly and the thread moved in from side to side.
9. I have been craving sweets.
10. My nose has stayed the same.
11. I have been craving fruit.
12. The baby's heart rate is above 140 beats per minute.
13. I am not having headaches.
14. My abdomen looks like a basketball.
15. The baby generally kicks low and to the left.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't answer this one:

What Your Urine Says

This next test to determine a baby's sex may not be for everyone, although it is very simple. Just take a sample of your urine and mix it with Drano. Depending on the color change of your urine, you will have a boy or a girl. Unfortunately, there is no consensus on what color equals which sex. So, if you do decided to try this and your urine turns bluish yellow, brownish, brown, black or blue you will be having a boy. If your urine looks more greenish brown, green, blue or doesn't change at all, then you're having a girl. But be warned: if you decide to do this test, there could be some pretty harsh fumes produced - not to mention the possibility of an explosion!.

Teresa said...

I am going to say that the baby is a girl and will weight 7lbs 6 oz.

Anonymous said...

Ask yourself what you think you're having. In a study that asked women with no previous knowledge about their baby's sex, the moms-to-be correctly guessed the sex of their baby 71% of the time.

Boy at 8 lb 4 oz

AKW said...

Gender: Girl

Weight: 7 lbs, 7 oz.

AKW said...

Gender: Girl

Weight: 7 lbs 7 oz

Anonymous said...

This guess is from Jenni's Great Grandfather via her mom. He was prety good at calling 'boy' or 'girl' and was correct about her Uncle Kevin nearly 50 years ago. I vividly remember him telling my mom that she was having a boy because she had become a "bit broader" on her backside. I laughed at the time but, alas, along came my baby brother. He claimed that if the baby stayed all in front, like a basketball, it would be a girl. Now let's see if Great Grandpa can predict from the hereafter. Maybe there will be one of each-wouldn't that be GREAT!!!! Imagine Jenn and Eric's surprise-and the doctor!!!!! Anyway, we'll see soon enough-I don't have a guess so will wait patiently.

Anonymous said...

I'll go with a boy at 8lbs. 1oz. Why a boy? I'm playing the odds. According to the CIA factbook, there are 1.05 boys born for every 1.00 girls born in the US. So it's slightly more likely to be a boy than a girl. OTOH, as I understand it, parents are slightly more likely to stop having children after they've had a boy than after they've had a girl. This will skew the number of births towards boys over girls, even while the odds for any particular birth could still be 50/50. But I'm too lazy to research whether that's the sole reason for the 1.05/1.00 ratio, so I'll still stick with predicting a boy.